Sports Medicine & Performance
MJCA Athletics is proud to work with STAR Physical Therapy as our preferred primary care provider for physical therapy and athletic training needs. MJCA has an athletic trainer on site each day through the partnership with STAR. An athletic trainer is a highly qualified health care professional who works with physicians to provide preventative services, clinical diagnosis, treatment of injuries and medical conditions, emergency care, and therapeutic intervention. Our certified athletic trainer works with players both on and off the field to help prevent injuries and keep athletes healthy.
In addition, all middle and high school coaches complete annual training on athlete safety including concussion prevention, detection, and protocol, sudden cardiac arrest, and emergency medical training.
Our Athletic Trainer is Melissa Freeman, LAT, ATC. Melissa provides sports medicine coverage for all varsity home athletic events and practices and provides care in the athletic training clinic after school for practices and home athletic events.
Some of Melissa’s responsibilities include:
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide and appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Administer Concussion Baseline and post injury testing
- Administer Concussion rehabilitation and return to play
- Make sure young athletes are well-prepared for activities, properly treated for injuries and can return to play safely and quickly
- Work with doctors and other allied health personnel to prevent injury, provide emergency care, assist in diagnosis, and provide therapeutic interventions and rehabilitation for athletic injuries
The goal of Mt. Juliet Christian Academy Sports Medicine is to provide the highest quality comprehensive care to our student athletes throughout their athletic participation, and the health and well-being of your son or daughter is the highest priority.